Adelitas Way – Stuck CD (CMG)
With their new album, Stuck, Adelitas Way intensify their brand of hard-edged rock with a tighter songwriting sensibility and more brutally raw energy.
The Allman Brothers Band – The 1971 Fillmore East Recordings 6xCD/3xBlu-ray/4xLP (Mercury)
The Allman Brothers Band’s cornerstone LP, At Fillmore East, compiled from the four sets recorded on the weekend of March 12-13, 1971, has been expanded, stretching over six CDs with fifteen unreleased tracks. Additionally, this reissue contains the complete June 27 performance during the iconic venue’s final weekend, after the band was handpicked by impresario Bill Graham to headline closing night. Also available on Blu-ray audio (5.1 surround sound) and HQ-200gm vinyl.
James Brown – Get On Up: The James Brown Story OST CD (UMe)
Features studio and standout live versions of many of Brown’s top soul/funk hits – from his first, 1956′s “Please Please Please” to “Out Of Sight,” “I Got You (I Feel Good),” “Try Me,” “Papa’s Got A Brand New Bag,” “It’s A Man’s Man’s Man’s World,” and “Get Up (I Feel Like Being A) Sex Machine.” Also included are two previously unreleased concert recordings heard in the new film.
Marc Broussard – Life Worth Living CD/LP (Vanguard)
Louisiana’s favorite son returns with a set that’s part laid back soul, part blistering R&B, and all Marc Broussard, as they say down in Carencro. Continue reading
1. Jack White- Lazaretto
2. Mastodon- Once More Round The Sun
3. Sturgill Simpson- Metamodern Sounds In Country Music
4. Black Angels- Clear Lake Forest
5. Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young- CSNY1974 (live)
6. Richard Thompson- Acoustic Classics
7. Trampled By Turtles- Wild Animals
8. Sturgill Simpson- High Top Mountain
9. Reigning Sound- Shattered
10. John Hiatt- Terms Of My Surrender
11. Joyce Manor- Never Hungover Again
12. Jerry Garcia- Garcialive 4
13. Goatwhore- Constricting Rage Of The Merciless
14. Puss N Boots- No Fools No Fun
15. Ray Lamontagne- Supernova
16. Yes- Heaven & Earth
17. Dave & Phil Alvin- Common Ground
18. Eric Johnson- Europe Live
19. Slint- Spiderland
20. Blackberry Smoke- Leave A Scar (live)
5 Seconds Of Summer – 5 Seconds Of Summer CD (Capitol)
Debut full-length album from the Australian pop/punk quartet.
Alvvays – Alvvays CD/LP+MP3 (Polyvinyl)
Alvvays is two women, three men, a crate of C-86 tapes and a love of jingle-jangle. Both sun-splashed and twilit, their self-titled debut features nine songs concealing drunkenness, defeat and death in tungsten-tinted pop that glitters like sea glass. (Also available on electric-blue vinyl.)
Anberlin – Lowborn CD (Tooth & Nail)
Anberlin’s seventh and final album. Vinyl version due August 19.
Anti-Flag – Document Of Dissent (1993-2003) CD/2xLP (Fat Wreck Chords)
After more than 20 years writing smash hits about smashing the state, Anti-Flag have compiled a comprehensive best of album. Aptly titled A Document Of Dissent, this collection houses two decades of material that thoroughly represents Anti-Flag’s strong blend of music and message.
Bathory – Bathory [Reissue/1984] LP (Plastic Head America)
Bathory – Under The Sign Of The Black Mark [Reissue/1987] LP (Plastic Head America)
Bathory – Hammerheart [Reissue/1990] 2xLP (Plastic Head America)
Bathory – Twilight Of The Gods [Reissue/1991] LP (Plastic Head America)
Bathory – Blood On Ice [Reissue/1996] LP (Plastic Head America)
Bathory was essentially a one-man band, fronted by Quorthon and filled out with an endless string of session players who usually only lasted one album. Based in Sweden, Bathory is widely regarded as a pioneer of the modern black metal sound, and everybody who is anybody in black metal likes to quote Bathory as a big influence. Continue reading
1. Sturgill Simpson- Metamodern Sounds In Country Music
2. Morrissey- World Peace Is None Of Your Business
3. Bleachers- Strange Desire
4. John Hiatt- Terms Of My Surrender
5. Jason Mraz- Yes!
6. Blackberry Smoke- Leave A Scar (live)
7. Jack White- Lazaretto
8. Old Crow Medicine Show- Remedy
9. Willie Nelson- Band Of Brothers
10. Nickel Creek- Dotted Line
11. St. Paul & The Broken Bones- Half The City
12. Weird Al Yankovic- Mandatory Fun
13. Sturgill Simpson- High Top Mountain
14. Daft Punk- Random Access Memories
15. Jerry Garcia Band- Garcialive Vol. 4
16. Sia- 1000 Forms Of Fear
17. Dave & Phil Alvin- Common Ground
18. Mastodon- Once More Round The Sun
19. Crosby Stills Nash & Young- CSNY 1974
20. Judas Priest- Redeemer Of Souls
Marsha Ambrosius – Friends & Lovers CD (RCA)
The British R&B singer/songwriter’s sophomore album features production from Marsha, Pop & Oak, Da Internz, Eric Hudson, The Justice League and more.
Dave Alvin & Phil Alvin – Common Ground: Dave Alvin & Phil Alvin Play and Sing the Songs of Big Bill Broonzy LP+MP3+CD (Yep Roc)
Recently released on CD – now available on vinyl. The Alvin brothers, who founded seminal early L.A. punk roots band The Blasters in 1979, have shared a fascination with Broonzy since childhood. After an illness nearly took Phil’s life in 2012, they resolved to return to the studio and pay tribute to the blues legend. Common Ground includes 12 songs that capture a 30-year cross section of Broonzy’s canon, performed by the Alvins’ in their signature style of rollicking roots and stomping country blues.
Beyoncé – Beyoncé 2xLP+DVD (Sony)
Double vinyl LP pressing including bonus DVD. 2013 album from the R&B superstar. The album features 14 songs spread over two slabs of wax plus a DVD that contains 17 provocative promo videos.
Big Wreck – Ghosts CD (Zoe)
“Big Wreck has often flirted with progressive rock, particularly on their earlier material, and even on Ghosts, while the band might at first glance come off as a somewhat generic modern rock band, close listening reveals some impressively intricate layering and a diverse palette of sounds that is subtle and deceptively simple-sounding.” – Sputnik Music Continue reading